Sunday 13 March 2011

Home Improvement: Power Tool Pursuit (SNES)

Seriously? Did Frasier get a game too? What about Roseanne? Fresh Prince! That should have totally gotten a game.

Oh wow, a point and click adventure? That would actually be a good fit for a sitcom.

It seems that they were going to show off some a new range of tools on the show, but someone has stolen them and left a note. Tim is determined to get his tools back, and races off backstage to search for them.

Oh, no, wait, it's just a platformer. Shock! But at least we're somewhere different for once, a movie set! That looks like a forest level.

There's not much friction in this game, I'm actually sliding backwards in this shot. Other than that it controls pretty well I have to say. And it looks pretty good too.

But enemies are a bitch to kill. There's no joy in taking these guys on, you just find a safe place and pelt them with your nailgun until they eventually explode. I guess they're robot movie props or something.

Even blasting through rocks takes longer than it could. You just keep chipping away until enough of them are gone for you to fit through. Though I have to admit the nailgun looks cool in action. If you pick two of them up it gets SUPER UPGRADED, though you lose that if you take a hit.

And you probably will, quickly. Well, I did anyway. The game has a Sonic style health system, as long as you've picked up at least one nut you can take a hit, and they spill out when you're injured.

Okay, that is an awesome looking dinosaur.

Also, there's no way I'm going down there.

This flying creature makes it onto my shitlist. When it dies, it explodes into smaller enemies, so you have to make sure you attack it from a distance.

Pulling different directions when pressing buttons can trigger different effects, like swinging a wrench, or pulling out a pneumatic drill. You can't aim downwards with the nailgun, so I tried the drill... which did absolutely nothing. I had to jump down and shoot it in the end, then jump back up.

Also, see that crate? You have to collect all of them to finish. Yep, it's another damn collect 'em up.

Collecting the hard-hat power up gives you a surprise music change, and a twinkly trail. Also probably invincibility, that's the traditional effect of twinklyness. What it doesn't give you though, is a damn hat!

This turned out to be a bottomless pit of instant death, which is always hilarious. Especially when I respawned right next to it, thought I'd been put back somewhere earlier in the level, and immediately jumped down a second time.

I actually figured out about this grappling hook at the very start, but I struggled to find anything I could actually use it on. Which is almost as bad as not having one at all.

I respawned here after doing some more stuff. I could get out easily even if I didn't have the nailgun pickup, but I thought it'd be funnier if I pretended I couldn't.

And Tim the Toolman Taylor eventually died of thirst, trapped alone within the walls of a movie set. All because he wanted to show off some new tools on his show.

5 comments:

  1. While Home Improvement: Power Tool Pursuit isn't great, I can honestly say that it's much better than other crappy SNES titles like Ultraman, Pit-Fighter, James Bond Jr., Capt. Novolin, Harley's Humongous Adventure, Wayne's World, Bubsy 1 & 2, The Wizard of Oz, Last Action Hero, Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Lester the Unlikely, Rex Ronan, Bebe's Kids, Eye of the Beholder, Space Ace, Shaq Fu, Ballz 3D, Revolution X, HammerLock Wrestling, Rise of the Robots, Rap Jam Vol. 1, Time Cop, and Batman Forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, looks like I'm only halfway through the worst the SNES has to offer. Well that's something for me to look forward to.

      Hang on, Eye of the Beholder? I thought people liked that one.

      Delete
    2. OK, scratch Eye of the Beholder from the crappy SNES games list.

      Also, I think the game's lack of an instruction manual and only a Binford slip telling you that "real men don't need instructions" is a rather nice nod to the TV show where Tim would go forth with a project without proper instructions as well as wave off any warnings from Al, only to screw up the project with some wacky accident.

      Yes, Tim Allen fighting dinosaurs, giant scorpions, and ghosts IS stupid, but if you can look past that, Power Tool Pursuit is a pretty fun SNES game if you like a challenge. It's not Super Ghouls & Ghosts hard, but it's still difficult.

      Delete
    3. Actually, let me show you my list of "Crappy SNES games that Home Improvement: Power Tool Pursuit is better than":

      Ultraman
      Home Alone
      Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
      Pit-Fighter
      James Bond Jr.
      Captain Novolin
      Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool
      Chester Cheetah: Wild Wild Quest
      Harley's Humongous Adventure
      Wayne's World
      Bubsy in: Claws Encounter of the Furred Kind
      Bubsy 2
      The Wizard of Oz
      Last Action Hero
      Cliffhanger
      Terminator 2: Judgement Day
      Dennis the Menace
      Barbie: Super Model
      Barbie: Vacation Adventure
      Lester the Unlikely
      Rex Ronan: Experimental Surgeon
      Bebe's Kids
      Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder
      Space Ace
      Snow White in Happily Ever After
      Shaq-Fu
      Ballz 3D
      HammerLock Wrestling
      3 Ninjas Kick Back
      Rise of the Robots
      Rap Jam Vol. 1
      Warlock
      Time Cop
      Batman Forever

      Delete
  2. I don't know if it's because this was ONE of the four SNES games I owned as a kid, but I really loved this game. It was hard as hell, never actually beat it, but I had fun playing it. I know it's not the best the Super Nintendo had to offer, but it's far from the worst too.

    ReplyDelete

Semi-Random Game Box