Saturday 25 June 2011

Yendorian Tales Book 1: Chapter 2 (MS-DOS)

I'm kind of disappointed they stopped the title there, they've still got half the screen to fill.

YENDORIAN TALES BOOK 1:
CHAPTER 2,
ACT 1,
PARAGRAPH 12...

Hard to read writing on a stone background. Yeah, this is definitely a 90s western RPG.

Wow, those portraits are pretty... interesting. Some of them look like scanned photos, others look more painted. I'll go with the gruff looking guy on the bottom left for my fighter.

Damn, this all the characters managed to collect after their adventures in Chapter One?

That's not 'cloth armor', that's a t-shirt. I'm pretty much stuck going with clothes, a snack, and a weapon it seems. Unless I want to wander the streets naked and hungry, dragging a bag of weapons around.

Whoa... is that Tom Baker in the bottom left? I kinda feel bad about saying anything about these faces, seeing as they might be scanned pictures of real people.

I'm guessing it's going to have a standard 4 person team, so I'll go and add a couple more characters. My team shall consist of a fighter, paladin, rogue and mage. Because I'm boring.

Okay, I'm in a big empty room with a single table and a few chairs. I try stealing everything on and around the table, but it won't budge.

Then suddenly out of nowhere, the governor appears. Or at least his text box does, the man himself remains off screen. First he presents me with a mission to clear out the monsters infesting the mine, then he tells me I'm not up to the task.

I guess I need to go find this tavern and get some quests.

It's nice and sunny out today. Hey, is that a GIANT ANT hiding behind that tree?

Yeah, it's a giant ant, just roaming the streets. The whole town seems complete deserted except for this one ant. You'd have thought the governor might have thought to mention that ants had taken over while he was whining to me about problems at the mine.

Fortunately the combat seems pretty straight forward. I just keep clicking the attack button over and over until the monster eventually dies, and I get my 20 coin and 6xp reward.


I'm still trying to find the tavern, but it's hard when the buildings are completely unmarked and there's ants around every corner. Fortunately battles seem to be turn based. I can sit here forever and the ants can't get a hit on me until I click my attack button first.

Oh come on! Now there's giant spiders too? I'm getting my ass kicked here and it's not like I have any health potions. Oh wait, my paladin has healing magic!

I'm safe for now, enemies don't seem to come indoors, but my paladin is all out of mana. I've found a bed but it doesn't seem like they want to use it.

Oh, this is a scroll shop? I thought I might have actually found the tavern. Well... fuck.

I decide to raid all his stuff. Cloth armor+1? Wow, a glowing t-shirt. Why couldn't there have been anything cool in here, like a sword, or health potions?

Okay, I'm an idiot. I've been looking at that ZZz button thinking it might be pause, but it's probably rest isn't it? I could just click that and get my health back.

Well, it worked, but now I'm fighting ants in the dark.

Also they ate all the food! It looks like I can't sleep to get health back again until I find more food.

I like how the head on the inventory pictures matches the portraits I chose, that's a nice touch. Though it looks a bit like they've all been kicked in the stomach.

This town has walls around it? That means I'm trapped in here with the ants. Wait, how did those things even get in here if the door is locked?

Knowing my luck they probably all crawled out of an ancient and endless maze of sewers under the town... 

I decide to camp out here for the night, then make a run for safety. I didn't get any health back but at least I can see where I'm going now. If I can make it inside a building without another fight I might be alright.

Son of a BITCH!

There's nothing even in here, the entire building is entirely empty and only just big enough to fit one ant.

Oh come on! I'm going to get my whole party wiped out in the first town before I even find the tavern at this rate.

Yes!

Wait, no! Those aren't drinks, those are... HEALTH POTIONS!

Absolutely, health for everyone!

Wait, that price was just to heal one person? Well, it's cool, I've got the cash.

...

I stole everything they had in the shop, then used the cash to pay for the resurrection. Now I'm penniless, but at least I have a fighting chance.

Oh, plus I grabbed a couple of lockpicks, door unlocked!

HOLY SHIT! What the fuck is that? What the fuck just happened?

What!?


Ugh, next game.

1 comment:

  1. In the building with the Governor there's an upgrade shop accesible through some secret doors. There you upgrade your weapons enough to kill the rat in no time. Or even better, press F8 and get plenty of advice and help

    ReplyDelete

Semi-Random Game Box