Monday 13 June 2011

Win, Lose or Draw (MS-DOS) - Guest Post

I'm mecha-neko and it's time to...


I used to watch an incredible amount of Win, Lose or Draw as a kid. Couldn't get enough of it.

Now, with the magic of 33 MHz of processing power and a four colour display, one can play the popular daytime television game show, why, practically anywhere!

It's like they made a game show out of Maniac Mansion.

I understand if you would like to take a moment to turn down your monitor's brightness, put in eye drops, put on sunglasses or turn the monitor off completely.

If this is the 'Second Edition', I can't imagine what the 'First Edition' must've looked like.

Eight character player names. Grr. Anyway, let's see what we're up against. I don't know if I'm drawing or guessing. Let's say guessing.


The computer character slowly draws the clue picture onto the screen. As this is happening, you have a minute to guess what the answer is. If you guess one of the words of the answer, it appears in the top left of the screen. When I press Return now, it'll add the word Fountain to the top right.

The clue is 'The Silver Screen'. Can you work out the answer?

I couldn't. It's over to the other side. I'm playing against the computer...

They couldn't get it either. YESSS.

For these next clues, I'll put the answer in the mouseover text.

SITTING DUCK
The computer didn't get this, so it went over to me. I got it.

ELBOW GREASE
I got the steal on this one.

This is a paper clip.

She's so happy. If I got $500 for getting that picture, I'd be happy too.

Because I got the highest score, I get to go on the speed round. I got them all except the last one. CAN YOU DO BETTER?

TREASURE CHEST

BALLOON

CRYING

BABY

HOUSE

They're so pleased they're starting to cry.

Huzzah!

Want more clues?

CROCODILE TEARS

LAUGHING

SOUP

ELBOW

SPLITTING HAIRS
Lionel Hutz!

Want to know the strangest thing? I really enjoyed this game.

Sure, you can't expect a 1988 MS-DOS game to allow the player to do the drawing, but guessing can be fun too.

One last one!

BLAZING SADDLES

Hint: It's not a horse covered in crap.

7 comments:

  1. May you say name of the site where 2nd edition was gotten? 1st edition exists on abandonwaredos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry man, I have no idea how mecha-neko ended up with this, and I doubt he remembers himself.

      Delete
    2. It would be nice if he'll get the question. It's part of games preservation project.

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I have no idea where I got the game from. It was most likely found installed on an old hard drive of mine.

      You'll have to find 'Win, Lose or Draw by Hi-Tech Expressions' elsewhere.

      Delete
    4. If you'll find it some time, people will be appreciated if you'll share it on one of abandonware sites like abandonia, UG, etc. Thanks for attention.

      Delete
    5. I'm not going to start linking to games in the comments, but it seems that emuparadise has the version you want.

      Delete
  2. High-Tech Expressions. They published something that wasn't...all fucked up?
    Shoulda searched the dollar store in Arkansas a little harder.

    ReplyDelete

Semi-Random Game Box