Saturday 12 February 2011

Quackshot (Genesis/Mega Drive)

ATTENTION: THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN RECLASSIFIED AS BEING 'A BIT CRAP'.
You can find my second look at the game here instead: QuackShot (Genesis/Mega Drive) - Replay.

I think this might be intended as a homage to something, but WHAT?

Your only method of attack is a plunger gun. A single hit will leave enemies momentarily flickering, stunned and unable to hurt you, but firing more plungers at them has no effect. I ducked down, hoping he might actually explode or something, but he just stopped shaking after a few seconds. It doesn't seem like you can ever get rid of them.

A big obvious ladder! A ledge with items! Hey, I think I've solved this case!

Actually it doesn't look like I can climb the ladder or jump on the rungs, apparently it's just background. Though I CAN get shot in the back with a tomato while I try.

Seems like everyone wants this poor duck out of the way. Even people indoors are throwing stuff at me. This is a pretty well coordinated assault.

Even the BIRDS want me out of the way? Fortunately I was quack on the draw, and pre-empted his attack with a plunger to the beak. Oh wow, I just noticed that all the enemies have little black cat (dog?) logos on them, even the bird.

Two shots, two turtles. I'm the plunger master. Ugh, all this talk of turtles and plungers is making me think of Mario. This game does not compare favourably.

OKAY WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT? What the FUCK are they?

They just keep jumping between the bins... I'm going to go now.

This helpful fellow forgave me for instinctively firing a plunger at his head, and informed me that if I wanted to make it up this brick wall I'd better go back through the level and find some climbing equipment.


Yeah, I'm done with this. Next game.

4 comments:

  1. This game ruled when I was like 10. You didn't get to the part with the plungers that stick to walls and let you use em as platforms... or the dope Transylvania level music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I think I gave up on this game way too quickly. I barely gave the thing a chance, and I've heard from a few places that it gets good, so I'll probably end up giving it a second look at some point.

      Delete
    2. Transylvania level music... Can't forget it...

      Delete
  2. To go up ladders, press 'up' on the D-pad (or whatever is supposed to serve as the D-pad on whatever emulator you're using). You can permanently use enemies using the "Popcorn Gun," IIRC, which you access by pressing the start button (which opens your inventory).

    ReplyDelete

Semi-Random Game Box